Thursday, November 11, 2010

Darkness is Here

Daylight "Savings" time is finally past. No more quick rides after work, unless I bundle up and ride with lights that is.  The leaves have finally fallen, turning the trails in the mountains to slick, narrow paths which hide rocks that can turn you and your bike into a whirling ball of legs, arms, and aluminium.  If the darkness and slick leaves isn't enough you now have to contend with hunters who probably don't check their targets as well as they should before firing off a volley into the underbrush.  Otherwise this is the best time of the year to be in the mountains. On the climbs you still sweat but it is nothing like the body-sapping geysers of the summer. You have to carry only minimal clothing for when it gets a little colder or if you are hitting a  long descent.  The one perk of the time changing is that you now don't have to drag yourself out of bed hours before the sun peeks over the horizon.


Picture from my last evening ride

As much as I love biking I often reflect and find it amazing that I have never went to a bike race.  Mostly this is because cycling is not really a good spectator sport and I haven't found the time to compete myself. This is going to change this weekend.  I am planning to attend a cyclocross race at Luray Caverns in Page County.


In case you don't know "cross" was first developed as a way for cyclists to keep in shape during the off season. It was founded in Belgium and is raced off road on a short course which makes it much better to watch than regular racing which usually covers long distances.  Cross has never really been very popular in the US until the last 5-10 years, in which it has now taken off exponentially.  If you want to know more about this unique type of racing check out this link. I plan to take my camera and will post some of the pictures I take in the next post.

Till next time,

No comments: