Tuesday, June 7, 2011

HDR On Centerville Rd

As I have slowly learned a few things about photography here and there I stumbled upon a kind of photograph called HDR. HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. In many situations it is impossible to correctly expose the whole scene. Either the sky is blown out and white, or the sky is right but the ground is dark. HDR gets around this by using multiple photographs which are either overexposed or underexposed, then stitching them together in Photoshop or some other photo editing program to have the whole scene be correctly exposed.



Here I took a series of three pictures to be used for and HDR photo. By themselves none of them are anything to write home about, two of them are actually quite terrible.





Just as I stated before I took these three photos, worked a little Photoshop HDR magic and came up with this.


Before you say anything I know that this photo is not realistic; its not meant to be. It always seems that a photo never really captures the moment. With some judicious application of my meager editing skills I feel that the emotion that I felt looking over this landscape comes through better than if I just used the last photo of the previous series. Some people I talk to think that using Photoshop is cheating; that you can take a bad photo and make it great. There is a grain of truth in that, but you still can't get around that fact that a poorly composed picture will always look bad. 

In the comments below let me know what you think of this picture, good or bad.

Til next time,

No comments: