Friday, March 12, 2010

Does It Ever Quit?

It seems that there is someone or something that does not want me to ride this spring. First it was snow that lingered on the mountains even after a week or so of 50+ degree days, now a series of storms is hitting the area just long enough to deny me a dry ride this weekend. Luckily I was able to get in some saddle time over the past few days, just not as much as I'd like. Monday I rode my TCX, which is in the process of being converted to a commuter/touring bike, to school and then other various errands. It was the first time I had ever used my new Topeak rack and bag system and I am glad to report that they worked flawlessly. Books, clothing, and food fit with room to spare. I only got in 35 or so miles but that was about all I could take after just recently recovering from a small case of the flu last week. Wednesday I was able to get in the first decent singletrack ride in months on the recently thawed out trails. I was still recovering from the flu and my ride on Monday, and Sherman hadn't biked in 6 months so we had a hard time getting through the 15+ miles of left over snow banks and energy sucking muddy roads that comprised our route. I was exhausted afterwards but haven't felt that good since before the snows. It is calling for rain tonight as well as all day tomorrow but I WILL get outside no matter what it takes! You can only get so wet and muddy then it just doesn't matter.

More backpacking news! I have finally decided on some of my equipment choices. The only sleeping bag that fulfilled my requirements of warmth, weight, and cost was the Eureka Silver City. Shortly after finding said sleeping bag I stumbled upon the Eureka Solitare. I was expecting to pay at least 150 dollars for a sleeping bag and close to 200 for a tent so I was overjoyed to find these two items for under 100 bucks each.

I didn't post any pictures today and don't expect any from the ride tomorrow; cameras hate downpours ya know.

Till next time,

No comments: